Landscape expert and Adbri Masonry brand ambassador Jason Hodges says that longer days and extra sunshine provide an opportunity for a makeover of your outdoors space. Here are his top tips:
- Build a veggie patch. Raised garden beds are ideal for growing vegetables and herbs. Allocate space which will receive enough sun; mark out your area; and then install a raised garden wall using dry retaining wall blocks. Adbri’s Versawall works well for straight veggie patches; and Miniwall for curved and circular. Bring in quality soil; and then plant your favourite produce. It’s a great way to make use of forgotten corners of the garden.
- Create a zoned garden. Zones in the backyard can create defined areas for eating, cooking or lounging. Define zones using fencing, plants or materials such as pavers, grass or gravel to help each area stand on its own. A zoned garden will appear bigger.
- Add furniture and accessorises. Selecting the right furniture is imperative to achieving the desired look and feel. Start by considering your lifestyle and how you anticipate the area will be used. Lounges and deep seaters are perfect for relaxing; whereas dining settings are best for family meals. Include some decorative elements to add personality to the space.
- Enhance the look of the lawn. Replacing old or damaged turf is a quick way to enhance the look of your home. Healthy turf will bring a bright, fresh appearance to your outdoors space and this simple project gives a great finishing touch. Aerate the lawn with a garden fork and remove any debris. Fertilise if required and sprinkle grass seeds over any bare spots. For a more dramatic finish add garden edging.
- Pressure-clean paved areas. You can bring your driveway or any paved area back to life with a power wash. It’s quick and easy to do and will not only improve the appearance; but you may also remove any oil or moss that then restores the slip resistance of the surface.
- Introduce a water feature. Adding a water-feature to the outdoors room can enhance its aesthetics. Water features can also block out noise from traffic or neighbours, and add a peaceful ambiance to the garden.
- Add creative lighting. Lighting allows you to utilise the backyard all year round and at night.
T: 1300 365 565