If your deck is in need of a lift set aside a few hours to clean the timber before recoating. Timber coating specialist Sikkens recommends the following tips to revive the deck, for years of enjoyment ahead.
You will need:
- Hose or pressure washer
- Stiff bristled brush
- Sikkens Cetol BLX-Pro
How to do it:
- Clean the entire deck with a hose or pressure washer to remove all contaminants, dirt and grime.
- Scrub with a stiff bristled brush using a mixture of mild detergent and water.
- Rinse with a hose or pressure washer until soap suds are removed.
- When completely dry, apply a liberal coat of Sikkens Cetol BLX-Pro [$51.15] in the desired colour, in the direction of the grain. For best results apply two coats, with two hours between each coat.
- For hardwood decks that are weathered or grey, a cleaning product such as Sikkens Cetol BL Deck & Wood Cleaner [$23.32] needs to be applied before recoating. This fast acting gel formula will brighten and revitalise grey and weathered timber, in preparation for application of the recoat.
- Neglected decks that are peeling, flaking or blistered, will need to be sanded back to bare timber, before applying Sikkens Cetol BL Deck & Wood Cleaner [$23.32]. Areas that are affected with mould or mildew must be properly treated before recoating otherwise mould will continue to grow underneath the fresh paintwork.
DANIEL, IMAGE CAPTIONS:
- Remove contaminants, dirt and grime
- Scrub with mild detergent and water
- After completely dry, apply Sikkens Cetol BLX-Pro with stiff bristled brush
T: 1300 745 536